Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Fuel Update


I want to change my relationship with food. Food is fuel, and yes it can be something pleasurable from time to time. For me, it's so much more.
When I take a close look at my food history - a theme comes to the surface: I love simple, and sugary carbs. I believe this is what turned me into - well - an addict. I realize now that I have had a carb obsession for most of my life.
Here's how my relationship with food (and exercise) affected my body over the years:

3 squares (mostly home-cooked and NO fast food) until I was 17. Normal weight. Activity level = sedentary.

Lived in Germany for 1 year. Consumed large quantities of bread, desserts, beer. Activity level = sedentary. Gained 30 lbs.

The yo-yo years: I went on Jenny Craig, Weight Watchers, Quick Weight Loss, Nutri System, and the ice cream diet (the one with the beets). Activity level = sedentary.
Gained a bit more after short term losses.

Became involved in fitness in my mid 20's - learned about eating right - lost some fat, gained some muscle. Was able to balance my carb addiction with working out for approximately 10 years. Activity level = frequent to moderate. I was satisfied with my weight / fitness level during most of these years.

Downward spiral: Broke ankle, injured hamstring, major depression, alcohol abuse. Was not able to do the exercise I loved the most. Activity level = back to sedentary. Lost muscle, gained fat. Net gain: 20 lbs.

In my late 30's, health problems begin to appear (achy joints, legs/hamstring, increased migraines, sleep issues, foot pain, skin problems, swollen ankles, major mood swings, foggy brain, intestinal issues). Decided to try low carb (LC), which cleared up ALL symptoms. Felt great for 6 months eating this way.

Decided to go on a 'carb vacation' for a day, which turned into a week - and then several months. All symptoms returned. Felt like shit.

Went back on LC. Felt great again. Clearly, my body and mind do very well on a LC plan. Maybe I'm Celiac, or gluten intolerant - or have a low grade food allergy. It really doesn't matter much the exact reason - I feel much better on a LC plan.

My new challenge: tweaking the LC plan so I can properly fuel my body to have adequate energy and nutrients for intense workouts. The burning question for me right now: Ketosis or no ketosis? (I feel so good in ketosis)... I have more research to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment