Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Third Workout and a Hand Stand


The third CrossFit Workout. (Foundations)

Mike showed us how to do handstands against the wall. My first time ever doing that. As usual, I was humbled and amazed. Mainly by my fears. I'm not afraid to spar and have people try to punch and kick me in the face. Yep - noooot a problem. Ask me to do something I've never tried before and my old conditioned thinking comes right back to mind.

Mike said "you really have to commit when you throw your legs up." and I had INSTANT doubt. "I'm gonna bust my face into the floor!" was the first thought....
Fortunately, I know better than to listen to my voice of doubt (for most things). Instead I thought "Well, if a) anyone else can do this, I can do it - and b) if Mike (who seems to be quite knowledgeable) is asking me to do this, I can do it.
So I threw my hands down, feet up and - I did it. First try. Told ya, dumb old automatic thinking.

Mike taught us the push-press and push jerk.

We did:
  • Warmup
  • 21 push jerks (baby bar -20lb)
  • 21 modified handstand pushups (knees on box)
  • 15 push jerks
  • 15 modified handstand pushups
  • 9 push jerks
  • 15 modified handstand pushups
  • Time: 10:53
I cannot believe how much and how quickly I sweat. After about 3 push jerks, my face just opened up like a faucet and sweat began streaming out. (I remember the days when I started karate and I never broke a sweat - for like a whole year - and not for lack of working hard!).

And, do I have arms of steel? Ummm, not yet. More like noodle arms at the moment...

No comments:

Post a Comment